Wednesday, September 10, 2008

More Booker Prize Thoughts

As a follow-up to my Booker prize piece of yesterday this is what the Daily Telegraph had to say about it.

"I reckon that, too often, what our literary prize panels confuse with proper writing is in fact just overwriting, and that the problem is exacerbated by a salon of smug, sanctimonious, mostly Left-leaning literary-tastemakers (and gullible book groups) who feel a novel isn't "valid" unless it's a) a bit hard to read, b) weighed down with purple prose or poetry, c) socially worthy (madness, disability, child abuse etc) and d) best of all, imbued with lashings of fashionable, Zadie-Smith-style, melting-pot ethnic exoticism."

Still having said all that they did leave out Rushdie and having read that I'm glad they left me off the list. . .

4 comments:

jmb said...

I love that quote! I used to make it a point to read the winner of the Booker but they became too weird for me some years ago.

Never heard of one of this year's list, not even the authors. I have heard of and read Mr Rushdie but really didn't like him so much either.

James Higham said...

Injustice, it was, Richard, to leave you off the list.

Ellee Seymour said...

Richard will be on the list one day, I know it.

Richard Havers said...

First I'm gonna have to crank up that novel...