Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Beautiful Ava Gardner Sings. . . For Real!

Ava Gardener and Frank Sinatra's love affair and marriage were the very stuff of Hollywood legend. There's no question that she was one of the most beautiful actresses of her generation, or any other for that matter. When the film Showboat in which Ava starred with Howard Keel was released MGM decided not to use her real singing voice but instead dubbed Annette Warren's voice onto the soundtrack. I've never heard Ava sing her two songs from the film before, but here, thanks to the wonder of Youtube is Ava singing, Can't Help Lovin Dat Man and Bill. They should have left her voice on the movie.



4 comments:

Dragonstar said...

That's a lovely, natural voice. Nice to hear those songs again!

Anonymous said...

Richard, those are great bits of film. One of the highlights of my life happened around 1975 or 76 when I was invited to dinner one Saturday evening to some friends who lived in Ennismore Gardens in Knightsbridge. The dinner party was for about 8 people and two of the guests were Raymond (Perry Mason) Burr - who was a real pain in the a*** boring old man and the other, who I got to sit next to, was the beautiful Ava Gardner. I couldn't believe my luck! She was a wonderful lady and a really interesting, and interested, character. God bless Ava Gardner and thanks for a great evening.

Richard Havers said...

Mr. E. You've never told me that before. You lucky old bugger!

Anonymous said...

I know, Richard. Couldn't believe my luck!