Monday, October 08, 2007

A Stunning Sparrowhawk.

Ten days ago I got home from London and before heading over to the Eastern Borders I had to make a call to the USA. As the conversation was coming to an end I head a loud bang from the other side of the house. Upon investigation I found a Sparrowhawk had flown into the conservatory and stunned itself. I immediately grabbed Mrs. H's camera to get some photographs. I went out of the door and the bird managed to fly onto the gate where it sat for a while regaining its composure - a bit like a boxer who's been sent to the neutral corner. Not totally sure how to use it I just kept clicking and hoping for the best. What a beautiful bird....

5 comments:

r morris said...

I have never heard of a Sparrow Hawk. What is its average size? I take it it is small.
From this angle, he/she almost looks like an owl.
Thanks for the photo.

jmb said...

Thanks goodness he didn't break his neck and kill himself. I sometimes finding dead birds who flew into our living room window which has venetian blinds on it.

Ian russell said...

good shot! I bet he was chasing down his dinner and didn't notice the glass. I was almost knocked off my bike by one a couple of years back - it was after a finch that shot into the hedgerow and it wasn't stopping for anyone. not that they're especially big, but they go like a rocket!

Anonymous said...

Great photo, this is a juvenile. The length of them is 11-16 inches, wingspan 23-32 inches and they weigh 5-12 ozs.

Richard Havers said...

A juvenile....no wonder it crashed into the conservatory, it must still be in training!