Saturday, October 27, 2007

Meet Me in St. Louis

One of the few Berwickshire bloggers (we happy band of brothers), Huttonian, has reminded me of how tricky it could be dealing with the (in)famous British Caledonian Airways pipers. In the 70's when British Caledonian started flying to St. Louis naturally the pipe band was there to remind everyone of our Scottish ancestry. After the first flight had departed from the city all the BCAL staff, along with the pipe band and the crew that had brought the plane from London went to the nearby Ramada Inn, where the crew were staying, for a party in celebration of the BCAL Airport Manager’s birthday. The party was going along really well, until the Police appeared.

“Who’s in charge here?” I guess that will be me I thought looking around the room, although I’m not to sure what I was in charge of at this point.
“Me. Probably.”
“Well you’ll need to come with us, we have got some of your pipe band in custody along with three of your flight attendants. They have been playing their bagpipes in the hotel car park.” Said the officer.
Phew I thought is that all.
“And, your three flight attendants have been roller skating around the car park with them – topless!”
It took all my powers of persuasion to convince them not to press charges.

No comments: