Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Oxygen of Publicity

Driving home tonight along the Tweed valley, surely one of the most beautiful drives in Scotland, if not Britain, I listened to a BBC Radio 4 programme about the BNP. It was a programme in stark contrast to what I was seeing with my eyes. At first I thought, why are they giving these thugs and bigots, the oxygen of publicity, then as I listened more it became clear. It made them sound like the bunch of intellectual pygmies (actually, on reflection, that's giving pygmies bad press by association that they don't deserve).

One of the people they interviewed suggested that because she was a Christian and so were some of the people she knew that were in the BNP that made them OK. She sounded for all the world like a character out of E.F. Benson but she also made Mapp & Lucia seem like revolutionaries!

1 comment:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hello. Have seen your comments on Ellee's blog. Glad to see you here and like this brave post. [It also reminds me how I miss R4.]