Friday, March 21, 2008

The 21 Songs on the 12 British Beatles Albums not composed by any of the Band

Anna (Go to Him) (Alexander)
Chains (Goffin/King) A hit for the Cookies in 1962 by the prolific husband and wife team that worked out of the Brill Building.
Boys (Dixon/Farrell)
Baby It's You (Bacharach/David/Williams) A great pub trivia question.....Did the Beatles ever record a Burt Bacharach song?
A Taste of Honey (Marlow/Scott)
Twist and Shout (Medley/Russell)
Till There Was You (Willson) - Performed by the Beatles at Royal Variety Show in 1963 it came from the Broadway show, The Music Man.
Please Mr. Postman (Bateman/Dobbins/Garrett/Gorman/Holland) The first No.1 for the Tamla label.
Roll over Beethoven (Berry) The Beatles, The Stones and the Beach Boys all covered Chuck Berry’s songs, which earned Ol’ Flat Top a tidy sum.
You've Really Got a Hold on Me (Robinson) This had just been a big hit in America for Smokey Robinson’s group The Miracles.
Devil in Her Heart (Drapkin)
Money (That's What I Want) (Bradford/Gordy) Berry Gordy was the founder of Tamla Motown Records
Rock & Roll Music (Berry)
Mr. Moonlight (Johnson)
Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey! [medley] (Lieber/Penniman/Stoller)
Words of Love (Holly)
Honey Don't (Perkins)
Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby (Perkins) George sings lead vocal on one of his hero’s recordings.
Act Naturally (Morrison/Russell)
Dizzy Miss Lizzy (Williams) Larry Williams wrote it and had a minor hit in 1958.
Maggie Mae (Traditional)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:49 am

    A great list, Richard. I must burn myself a CD of non-Beatles-composed Beatles records. But I will have to add my all-time favourite of non-Beatle compositions - Larry Williams's 'Bad Boy'. I just love their version of it. Having been a member of the Cavern Club in 1962 this record just captures in 2 1/2 minutes what the Mersey Sound was really all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about "My Bonny Lies over the Ocean"? Was that pre-Beatles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting, I never knew any of this. My husband plays and sings in an R & B band, I bet he doesn't know this either.
    Progress is slow re my assignment due to family commitments, but I hope to get stuck into it this week, I'm really keen to. Hope you and your wife had a happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:09 am

    Very sad to read the obituary of Neil Aspinall in the paper this morning. He was knwon as the 'true' fifth Beatle. His contribution to their career is unestimable. I never knew, though, that he fathered a child with Pete Best's mum in 1962!

    ReplyDelete