Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Bluetooth Brigade

Home from the Southlands, what a relief - and not just because I'm off the laptop on onto the big screen. The drive back from Burford in Oxfordshire took me seven and a half hours, which was longer than the AA web site had forecast. The traffic on the M1 was horrendous and was not helped by the weather; it kept going from torrential rain to dry, a potential lethal combination when combined with road works.

I stopped at a Services, I think it was in South Derbyshire somewhere. In any event this turned out to be the bluetooth capital of Britain. It seemed like 60% of the men in the place had a bluetooth device in his ear. There's something very disconcerting standing next to a man in the lavatory who is having a conversation on his phone. I'm sure the blue tooth hands free device wasn't invented for this purpose. All in all it reminded me of a scene from the movie 'Bladerunner'. Afterwards as I was drinking my reviving cup of coffee I sat fascinated by the bluetooth brigade. I can report that about 70% of those that had them in their ears were men of a certain age - mostly had shaved heads.

I saw not one woman with a bluetooth device in their ear, nor, on reflection, have I ever. What does that tell us?

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:51 pm

    I've noted this phemenonon in the States, too. My belief is that wearing one of these is like a fashion statement screaming "I'm so important that I must be able to be reached at all times, even when I'm taking a piss". And it is men primarily. Women prefer to talk on cell phones while driving.
    My own philosophy--I don't want to be reached without my consent. Call my land line (I don't own a cell). If I'm home, I look at the caller ID. If I want to talk, I answer. If I don't, I let it ring. And no, I'm not so important that I need to be reached at all times. In fact, I have no idea why anyone calls me at all!
    Fun post, Richard.
    Also, you note it took seven hours on your drive. If I drive seven hours from my home here in the Western United States, I can go approximately 500 miles. How far was your trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem with working for yourself Rob is that if people don't call then there's no work. I have a sort of love hate thing with the phone. I like people, so I like talking to friends. However, I hate calls I don't want! The cell phone thing here in the UK is a cross between a fashion statement and a tool that allows people these days to never be on time!\

    It was 347 miles....precisely! If the traffic had been easier, that's to say not a Friday, I would probably have done it in 6 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:28 pm

    You have a point, Richard, about the need of a phone when you are self-employed. I hope someday to be so employed, because then I would get along with my boss almost all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:12 am

    I hate my bluetooth device with a passion. I have it in the car because it is the easiest way of going handsfree (ie legal) and still being in touch (yes, I too am self-employed).

    In the house, I forget where I have put it and it automatically answers when the mobile phone rings - driving me mad.

    It is uncomfortable and pretentious - I would never walk around talking using it when I could talk into the phone.

    I appreciate that it means my hands are free to do other things (as per your guys in the gents), but that is so distracting.

    I find myself multi-tasking which is so rude to the person on the other end of the phone. I believe that if you are talking on the phone you need to concentrate on the conversation to be respectful to the other person.

    I haven't yet given my bluetooth a name - my SatNav for example is called Tulip - but it irritates me so much, I'm sure it deserves an appropriate insult.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:33 am

    Women are not so daft and Richard you failed to point out, the men who wear them are usually small.

    ReplyDelete